Southern Command Airsoft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6.01 vs 6.03 barrels!

3 posters

Go down

6.01 vs 6.03 barrels! Empty 6.01 vs 6.03 barrels!

Post  Rob Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:24 am

So, I have been all up in arms stating that 6.01 is the way to go. That is before I sat down night after night researching. After long debates and many of reads I have come to this.

6.01 barrels are great from 100ft Which is where most of our shots are from at our field. But those of you with your higher end guns. Well you already know this hence why we all get shot from 200ft. 6.03 is better @ that range. I wanted to post some different clips and what not but I figured I would copy a post from KWA's forums which really sums it all up to a T. It is worth read for the more advanced airsoft player. And a good read for the new player wanting to learn more about airsoft internals!

Win&Legend - KWA USA user -
Some of you may remember a large thread a while back on AEG accuracy and some research efforts put into finding out what produces the best accuracy at long range. The thread last I recall ended without all possibilities being fully test. Finally I have had a chance to do that, I have a stock 6.05mm, Prometheus 6.03mm and EDGI 6.01mm bore barrels for an otherwise stock KM16BR late 08 model. It is equipped with the G2 bucking and a Firefly Buffer Rubber for AEG (Normal) http://www.airsoftat...uct_p/63314.htm . I have used the same G&G .25g BB's throughout all of my testing. Now here is what I have noticed shooting at a 200ft range (measured).

KWA 6.05mm Brass: worst performer overall at 100 ft and 200 ft ranges. However this may be partly due to the poorer tolerances as this is an OEM barrel and not a precision manufactured barrel such as EDGI, Prometheus or PDI. Groupings ranged about 16-24 inches at 200 ft when no wind. Keep in mind the new KWA 6.05's have a better build to them, so they may perform better.

Prometheus 6.03mm Stainless: best performer at 200 ft range, second best at 100 ft. Groupings were 6-12 inches at 200 ft , which is well within the limits of hitting a human sized target.

EDGI 6.01mm Brass: second best performer at 200 ft range, best performer at 100ft. Groupings were 10-16 inches at 200 ft, which is still able to hit a man sized target, but may require more than 1 shot on average. This barrel also becomes dirty very quickly and quickly degrades in performance.

This confirms my theory of a certain clearance for best accuracy at maximum range. For a DMR, using 6.03mm or 6.04mm bore barrel with 5.95mm bb's gives us a clearance of 0.08mm and 0.09mm +/- 0.01mm. going to a lower clearance than that will increase accuracy inside of a 100 feet where the backspin has little affect on the bb still, but decreases accuracy outside of a 100 feet where the backspin starts to become an important factor in trajectory. I think we can conclude from this that there needs to be a minimum clearance between the barrel and bb in order to avoid altering the backspin the hop-up puts on the BB. clearances under 0.07(0.08mm-0.01mm as a minimum in my particular test using the 6.03mm barrel) start to alter the backspin the hop-up puts on the bb, so the axis of spin becomes more random as the bb rubs the barrel. Clearances that are to high will also have a similar effect as turbulence is produced from significant pressure loss(uneven pressure would result in more bounce inside the barrel), causing the bb to bounce in the barrel and alter the backspin. I would say as a guesstimate that going over 0.10mm(0.09mm+0.01mm as a maximum using a 6.04mm barrel) clearance will start to result in to much pressure loss. Please note the groupings are estimated based on a target that is approximately 14 inches in diameter, a tree in this case, they are not absolute. Barrel uniformity is also important, the smoother the bore the less likely it will be to alter the backspin if the bb comes in contact with the barrel wall.

It seems there is a craze for 6.01mm barrels because everybody knows that if its a tighter tolerance then it must be better, right.....??? Forgive my sarcasm, but I find misinformation frustrating and the lack of desire to take some effort to study and analyze the problem even more frustrating. Yet the misinformation or opinion gets spread as if it were fact in the airsoft community, at least here in Ohio :-(. In any case this is what I have found during my testing.
Rob
Rob
LtGen
LtGen

Back to top Go down

6.01 vs 6.03 barrels! Empty Re: 6.01 vs 6.03 barrels!

Post  Disco Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:57 am

Nice this is similar to what I was told recently by Dennis when I purchased his gun that has a high end 6.03 barrel.
Disco
Disco
LtGen
LtGen

http://Discoairsoft@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  spence88 Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:18 pm

i went from the stock 6.08 barrel in my scar,which was horrible, to a 6.03 matrix barrel and i easily pick up 50-80 accurate feet on it. that barrel is also longer than stock so that also helped out. the barrel in my new rifle *wink wink* is only 6.05 but is hella accurate. thats right hella.

spence88
PFC
PFC

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down